LEGO® Answers is a question and answer site for LEGO® and building block enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A pile of "Zapfen" pieces.

What are these pieces called in English? Google translator doesn't help in this case...

share|improve this question
up vote 23 down vote accepted

The LEGO Pick A Brick store lists them as connector pegs (or, more simply, pegs) although they are more commonly known as pins in the fan community1.

The black ones have added friction for holding things together, while the light gray and beige ones are smoother and allow pieces to rotate, for example tires or beams.

enter image description here

1 BrickLink, Peeron

share|improve this answer
I can't bring myself to edit this, so I'll just critique. I have more often seen those refered to as "pins" than "pegs". Just a suggestion. – HaydenStudios Oct 26 '11 at 22:56
LDraw uses "pin" consistently, which is why it's more used by fans, but LEGO does indeed call them pegs (with less consistency, considering the 1 1/2 is a "bush") – Joubarc Oct 27 '11 at 12:29
@Joubarc: Ah, I was wondering where the term "pin" came from. – BoltClock Oct 27 '11 at 12:30
At the time LDraw was started, internal LEGO names weren't publicly available, so James Jessiman had to start from scratch. I feel that he, and the ones who continued to expand LDraw after him, have done a way better job than LEGO; but on the other hand LEGO had no real reason to use an English-coherent naming scheme. – Joubarc Oct 27 '11 at 12:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.