LEGO® Answers is a question and answer site for LEGO® and building block enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Has anyone made a list of all of the different types of connections between LEGO bricks?

Obviously there's the stud connection - but there's also the ball and socket joint, the more recent click-hinge, the pole-to-minifig-hand connection, and so on.

I suspect there are a quite a few that are specific to a few pieces (eg door hinges or train magnets). What I'm most interested in though are the connections that are part of the overall 'system'.

share|improve this question
It's interesting to note that LEGO is going towards less types of connections; for example, shutters now using a standard clip connection. – Joubarc Jan 4 '13 at 9:27
There have been attempts in the LDraw Lego CAD systems to do a parts connection database. I'm yet to hear of them getting to something workable. – Danny Staple Jan 7 '13 at 15:21
up vote 12 down vote accepted

Currently in use:

  • Stud and "antistud" (diameter 4.6mm)
  • Longer studs (Minifig torso)
  • Minifig legs
  • Minifig neck and head / accessory (eg backpack) - also compatible with studs
  • Clip and bar (in a way, similar to stud, but with diameter 3.2mm)
  • Wheels (3.2mm axles)
  • Flower connector (similar, but even smaller, present in a surprising number of parts, including spider and Technic chain link)
  • Technic hole and pin (compatible with studs)
  • Technic axle and axle hole
  • Turntable
  • Click hinges
  • Ball joint sockets
  • Brick hinges (I'd wager this one is the next one to disappear)
  • 9v/RC track connection
  • PF electrical plug
  • NXT electrical plug
  • Train magnets, embedded
  • Pneumatic hoses to pneumatic elements and bar elements
  • Sliding door in grooves
  • Visors on helmets


  • Flat hinges
  • 12v track clip
  • 4.5V/12v electrical plugs
  • 9V electrical plugs
  • Train magnets, free (connects to flowers too...)
  • Tube plate hinge (with red tube)
  • Wheels (metal pin, as in blue era train wheels)
  • Wheels (Plastic pin, as in grey era train wheels)
  • ZNAP
  • Homemaker arm joints
share|improve this answer
When you say brick hinges - I presume you mean these - – Danny Staple Jan 7 '13 at 15:26
There are various window / glass / shutter combinations, door / frame combinations and wheel / tyre combinations too. – Kramii Nov 13 '13 at 14:49
...and propellers on shafts, and stickers. Lots and lots of stickers. – Kramii Nov 13 '13 at 21:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.