Edit to add:
PDF downloads are now available from the LEGO Site:
3D Building Instructions
The images used for building instructions are available (jpeg images) in folder
C:\Program Files\LEGO Software\LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 Home Edition\Resources\ContentPacks\Retail\nonlocalized\LEGO\pack0\projects (more or less, depends on OS and installation choices). Take care not to modify anything there, as you might need to reinstall the software!
It's a bit more complex for .ev3 project files containing building instructions (eg. downloadable bonus models):
- Open the ev3 project file as if it is a zip archive.
- Inside you'll find a file named ActivityAssets.laz. Open this one as
a zip archive too,
- it contains all the images for building instructions. You can
extract those images to a separate location
- then you can print those images or build a PDFfile, you can put that on your tablet...
- take care not to modify the project files!
Remember that these images are the property of their owner (LEGO or model builder), use them for you own personal needs only!