I'm looking for suction cups that are compatible with the LEGO pneumatic system. I've seen people who have built things with them (on YouTube videos, etc), but haven't found anything on eBay or BrickLink. Short of drilling a hole in a normal suction cup and popping a pneumatic tube into it, is there anything out there I could buy?


2 Answers 2


From the post about Vertigo (the precursor to Rory's answer), TrilogyGlenIvy (the creator) stated:

Suction cup hangers were easily located in stores. Drilling a small hole and inserting a short section of copper tubing (1/8 “ or ~3 mm diameter) along with some vinyl glue produced the feet that I used.

Basically they are usually found in DIY/Home stores as metal or plastic hooks wrapped around a transparent suction cup so you can easily affix them to tiles or windows.

There is also a picture showing three variants that were tried, with the preferred option being those in the bottom left I think:

Suction Cup Variants

Depending on the weight of the model you've got you may also need to invest in some additional custom air bellows:

An internet search finally pointed to a “Climb@tron Vertibug” toy that contained two air bellows (~23 mm in diameter). I bought one of the toys, removed the air bellows, and designed a “worm gear slider” system using NXT parts to stretch and compress them. The vacuum system was then installed in Vertigo and has worked reasonably well.

  • 1
    AHA! I should've kept looking a little bit longer then. This is pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks! :) Feb 20, 2012 at 17:26
  • @DaveDeLong No probs. Feb 20, 2012 at 17:48

Definitely Vertigo III - superb build project

enter image description here

  • I'm sorry, but the question specifically asked "is there anything out there I could buy?". Unless the suction cups for the Vertigo III are for sale, this is not a valid answer. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but this is not one of the possible right answers. Feb 8, 2012 at 12:26
  • It looks like it is for sale under one of the Education links - the 9641 Pneumatic add-on set
    – Rory Alsop
    Feb 8, 2012 at 12:32
  • @RoryAlsop: According to Peeron, 9641 doesn't include the suction cups. peeron.com/inv/sets/9641-1
    – Kramii
    Feb 8, 2012 at 13:30
  • Ahhh - I take it all back then. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
    – Rory Alsop
    Feb 8, 2012 at 14:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.