From a friend I got some Lego, including an old Mindstorms package (RCX 2.0 as I already found out). It's my first time with the Mindstorms "eco system".
I already found out that I need some kind of IR sender for the connection to a computer -- sadly, the original one is missing. Now I'm trying to find out what I actually need to be able to do something with the whole stuff and if it's worth at all to put a lot of effort into it (or if it'd be easier/cheaper to just buy an up-to-date Mindstorms package).
- what IR sender should I buy (I saw that the original ones are available for cheap, but if possible I'd like to buy up-to-date or more generic hardware that I can also use with newer Lego systems or ideally also non-Lego "endpoints")
- What software do I need in general?
- Are drivers (if needed at all) still compatible with up-to-date computer systems?
- Do I need some kind of firmware updates for anything?
- are the downloads on lego.com (https://www.lego.com/mindstorms/downloads) compatible with RCX?
I'm having access to computers running Windows 10 and Ubuntu (both 64 Bit) if that matters.