I have to buy Lego Mindstorm kit for some projects. I really have never used Lego before, my friend asked me to consult him about projects (I use micro controllers and make robots from material I found in garage).
- Two truck tank with distance sensor to make map of room. Gyroscope sensor to measure angle of slope would be also very useful [fuzzy-logic, A* algorithm, OpenCV if put web camera on top of the tank].
- Inverted pendulum [PID controller]. So, it needs encoder and rather high speed motor which can change direction of rotation.
- Some crawler (like snake or spider) [models with holonomic constraints].
Now I think about basic educational kit EV3 and I think it doesn't fit. I also can't understand some moments about software - if I buy kit for home use, I suppose I shouldn't but any software.
- Which kit can fit? Maybe two kits, three?
- Servo is limited in rotation or it can be used as simple electro motor? If no, then which motor can fit?
- Can I program using free software (downloaded from site)? C/Java is preferable. NXC is nice to (it looks like C, but I didn't use it before).
- How to remote control robots? Should I buy some additional Wi-Fi adapters?