I know that SNOT means "Studs Not On Top", but I've also seen "SNIR" used, often in the same context as SNOT, but clearly different - what does it mean?

1 Answer 1


SNIR is the abbreviation for "Studs Not In a Row" - almost self-explaining, but for more information, take a look at this small article.


[...] very useful on walls and other things. In Lego, studs (nubs, dots, etc.) are in a row, and a straight one. Using SNIR makes studs be in zigzags or diagonal lines. [...]

  • 1
    I've seen pictures of a house on a beach which uses this technique with walls built entirely of 1x1 plates in various shades of grey, and in various orientations (thus not all aligned). I wish i could find it back, because the result was indeed superb
    – Joubarc
    Nov 2, 2011 at 15:03
  • 6
    Found it: Old fishermans house near the shore, by Reinhard "Ben" Beneke, who probably pioneered the technique.
    – Joubarc
    Nov 2, 2011 at 15:09
  • 1
    Told you. Funnily enough, I just noticed now that there's a link to it in the article of Didier Enjary mentionned in the question. It's footnote [2], referred to right after the word "SNIR".
    – Joubarc
    Nov 2, 2011 at 15:46
  • @Joubarc - I completely missed those footnotes :S Nov 4, 2011 at 15:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.