I'm trying to find out what exact parts I need to make the Lego Mini Cooper 10242 motorized. I'm trying to surprise my boyfriend with the set plus the parts he needs to make it motorized. I'm just at a loss of finding what extra parts I need to buy so any help and advice is much appreciated! Thanks so much!
Here is the only example I can think of.
We can see an example in the following video @0:39 by PPUNG DADDY:
Here is the servo-motor:
And the IR receiver on the rear, next to one motor. The battery is located behind the driver's seat:
We have a better view at the end of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvVJXhs_Q3s&t=1m31s
In order to do the same build, you would need:
What we clearly see in the video:
What is not shown but necessary:
- a remote controller: IR Remote Control or IR Speed Remote Control (allow to control speed of the motors but it responds more slowly)
- mount front wheels on a steering: see the front of this car for example: there are some fixed and free parts
- mount rear wheels on rotating axis with a differential gear between the 2 wheels
- some gears in order to transfer the movements from motors to the wheels:
- direction on the front wheels from the Servo-Motor (but there may be some simpler setups)
- gears between the differential and the L-Motor
These pieces would cost between 80 to 100 $, € or £ (I used the Brickset's average prices).
I don't have this model so I can't tell you what exact parts are required, sorry.