Brought my childhood LEGO sets from 1970's and 80's for my kids. The pieces attach much tighter together than sets purchased recently.

Can something be done to loosen the attachment without damaging the bricks?


2 Answers 2


Try using this brick separator tool enter image description here

Source: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Brick-Separator-630

A simpler version used to come with older sets. Some of the images demonstrate how the tool may be used with different kinds of pieces.

enter image description here Source: http://www.philohome.com/remover/remover1.htm

Two brick separators may be used for maximum separating efficiency for certain types of stuck brick situations.

For example, when two plates are stuck together:

enter image description here

Alternatively, using it as a lever to remove tiles

enter image description here

Source: http://thebrickblogger.com/2010/11/lego-brick-separator/


(@emagar has done the editing asked by moderator)

Leverage does the trick with no need for spacial separators or tools that might damage LEGO plastic. Use a long brick as lever, a smaller brick as wedge. Attach the wedge slightly towards the center of the lever. Plug the stuck brick to the space left free, in contact with the wedge. Apply diagonal force to release the stuck brick. Quite amazing.

 |________________________|  lever
     |__|  wedge

   ________|__| stuck brick (seen sideways)
   |          |
   |          |

  ____|__|__|<-here  force |
 |          |              V  
 |          |            here

See https://youtu.be/KbJV90f6GpM

Try using this technique, fast and easy!

  • 2
    Hi Kenny, welcome to Bricks! Thanks for this, but link-only answers are discouraged on StackExchange sites. Can you summarize things here so nothing is lost later if links move around?
    – chicks
    Commented May 6, 2019 at 21:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.