A friend of mine gave me some of his old minifigures. As you guys can see, the hand of one of the figures is broken and a part of the hand is stuck in the arm.
Do you have any ideas how to remove the broken part?
Bricks is a question and answer site for LEGO® and building block enthusiasts. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
I sympathize with the desire to fix it, but on closer consideration it doesn't seem easy or worth it. Getting the hand out would probably damage the arm even if you manage to do it.
The entire torso is available for less than $1 on BrickLink. This is the easiest path forward. Some similar torsos are half as much if you don't need an exact match.
There are replacement arms for many colors and color combinations on BrickLink, but not a plain blue arm like this that I could find.
As with all of LEGO the possibilities are limited to your imagination:
So I hope you can see some way to get more value out of your "broken" torso than just tossing it. But sometimes we've gotten all of the life out of a piece and it is time to let it go.
I've had this problem several times before. There are two general ways to solve this issue.
Brute Force Needle Stick several needles into the arm area at an angle. Then simultaneously push down on all the other ends of the needles to unstick the needle
Hot Paperclip This is excessive but effective. I wore gloves and used my kitchen stove to heat up a paperclip and stuck it at an angle into the plastic. It melted the plastic and stuck really well and after the plastic solidified again (in a literally a minute) I pulled the entire stuck arm out.
The tiny screw method works. We dipped it in dish soap, made a tiny groove with a thumb tack and then threaded a very small screw. Used two pairs of plyers, one on the arm and one on the screw, and pulled the broken hand out with no issue.
I extracted two broken hand stumps with a hot needle and replaced them with unbroken hands from less important or otherwise broken figures.
Of the two figures I used this technique on, it worked on the first try for one and took two or three attempts (at different angles) for the other. The hand stumps were recessed to different depths.
The hot needle caused minimal distortion to the inside edge of the hand socket and did not interfere with the ability to install a new hand. With enough skill, I think you could avoid touching the arm socket at all, but I nicked mine a little tiny bit. Of course, this minifig has seen worse, so I'm not too concerned.
The king is all better now, with a new hand. The stub of an old one is on the table next to him.
If you have a tiny screw, it might be possible to screw it into the inner part and then pull on the screw to remove.
Almost like opening a bottle of wine with a corkscrew, except in this case the "cork" is set into the bottle a little.